My Vision (Gratitude) Board

Today, I did something that has been on my {non-priority} to do list for a while and it was a surprisingly moving experience.



Have you heard of a Vision Board? According to Jack Canfield, Vision Boards are "inspirational collages which serve as your image of the future - a tangible example, idea or presentation of where you are going." Your Vision Board "should represent your dreams, your goals and your ideal life."

This popular concept has been presented to me many times, especially since I started being my own boss and took responsibility for personal development. This year, I joined an accountability Facebook group for Close To My Heart consultants who have a goal to become a director by the en of 2017. One of the first assignments we were given was to make a Vision Board. Mentally, I have struggled with how to approach this assignment for several reasons.

First, it has always seemed like a fluffy exercise and not really necessary for the goal setting process --- I'm more of a spreadsheets and list kinda girl. I'll be honest, I feel pretty intimidated when I see Pinterest-worthy vision boards. Also because I was brought up to believe in contentment and making the best of circumstances, I've felt like focusing so much on {material} dreams makes someone ungrateful.

Today, I decided those excuses really don't make sense and it was time to give it a try.


So I quit Googling and Pinteresting beautiful boards. Instead I cleared off a bulletin board in my office and worked through Jack Canfield's 6 simple steps for creating a vision board. It turned out to be a great experience. Although I thought I knew what my goals were, working through them visually really helped me process why I wanted to achieve them. Also, I realized my goals are very tied to where I am which gave me a deep sense of gratitude. Instead of making me feel like I have a long way to go, it made me realize that I am on a path and LIFE IS GOOD, NOW!

My board is focused on four areas of my life: Experiences, Memory Keeping, Achievement and Family.

Experiences

My husband and I love to travel. We like to see new things and also just like the experience of walking, talking and absorbing our surroundings. When I think of vacation, I dream of long walks on the beach, hiking through trees, tasting new flavors and meeting new people. I experienced this most recently on the Close To My Heart trip to Puerto Vallarto and I'm working on earning the trip to Thailand in 2018.


The cluster of images in the top left corner of my Vision Board remind me how my business supports our adventures. My business also supports our non-CTMH travel and other extras, so I've included a travel savings jar.


Memory Keeping

I've always loved pictures. I love seeing how people and places changes (and sometimes stay the same). I love looking at pictures of events and recalling how the experience felt. I love learning about my heritage and knowing what my great-great grandpa looked like. I love seeing how characteristics have carried down through the generations.



This corner reminds me how important it is to record today's events. One of my goals is to take the time to keep up with my personal scrapbooks. In addition to the memory keeping side of scrapbooking, I also get joy from the creative process so I've tucked a few pieces of scrapbook paper into this collage. It also reminds me that my first goal when I joined Close To My Heart was to pay for my habit. I find myself taking for granted the access I have to the most beautiful scrapbooking supplies.


Achievements


The images in the top right corner represent the satisfaction I receive from a job well done. I want to wake up energized for the work planned for the day and go to bed feeling accomplished. It reminds me that success is in the little things. It also represents the people who are part of my business: customers, team members and consultants who have become dear friends.



The flower name badge on the right reminds me of the people I have met though my business. Sitting down and creating with someone gives you a unique opportunity to get to know them -- I love that about this job! The teal heart dangle is a reward we get when a new team member reaches certain sales goals in their first few weeks. It is here to remind me to invest others. The picture of the director's chair represents all the perks that come with achieving director status at Close To My Heart.

Family

The last corner focuses on my family and my role in the home. A few years ago, I made a choice to leave a successful job to focus more on home life. It was a difficult decision but the pay out has been great. Of course, I can paint it as a sacrifice, and in many ways it was, but my life is so much better with a slower pace where I have the ability to enjoy the little joys of life.



As I look at the picture of my family, I'm reminded how important it is to make them a priority. Today was the last day of my daughter's junior year, so college really is just ahead. The sign reminds me that I don't want to miss a moment of this season of our life.


My Gratitude Board


I was not expecting this experience to change my goals or how I feel about them. In fact, I expected that it would make them feel distant and make me feel unsatisfied with my current life. I found the opposite to be true. As I pulled together these pieces of my "ideal" life,  I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I realized that I am living my dream. Although I have goals and hopes for the future, I am on a path that will logically lead to where I want to be. This gave me a deep sense of peace.


What about you?


Have you made a Vision Board? What was your experience like? Tell me about it in the comments. I'd love to see yours, so please post a link so I can check it out.