Basically the Best Masculine Card

As cardmakers, we often struggle with masculine cards. We LOVE to decorate and many of our the embellishment options do not lend themselves to creating something that is "manly" enough. That is why I am loving the new Rustic Home Fundamental collection. They are beautiful but natural enough to fit the bill for creating cards that celebrate the men in our lives.


It is hard to tell in the picture, but the Rustic Home wood-grain kraft paper used for the background of this card is embossed rather than simply printed. The deer, trees and sentiments  are from the Nature's Wish (D1703) stamp set and were stamped with Archival Black ink on Colonial White paper. To add soft color, I once again turned to my watercolors. 

As I practiced painting these images, I learned that less is more. By using less water and less paint, I was able to better to control the color. Plus, when the paper becomes too wet, it can curl and the surface get rough. So to minimize damage to the paper,  I swiped the bristles against the edge of the paint tray to remove any extra water before moving it to my paper. 


Remember the color is going to darkest where you first lay the brush but will lighten up as you paint. This creates a nice illusion of highlights, shadows and depth. I suggest starting with a small amount of paint and repeat if you want to deepen the color. 

The knot was made with the burlap ribbon from the Rustic Home Fundamental ribbon pack by separating the fibers.

Don't forget that the Fundamental Rustics papers are included in this month's special! Click here to learn how you can get them for free.


Have a better than basic day!
Rebecca

Here are some of the products I used for this project available for order on my CTMH website (www.rebeccabrown.ctmh.com).

product image
Nature's Wish (D1703)
product image
Rustic Home Fundamental Paper

product image
Rustic Home Ribbon (Z3292)


product image
Watercolor Paints (Z3132)


product image
Paintbrush set (Z188)