American Celebration!

I love the July Stamp of the Month, American Celebration. We used this stamp set in the May Creative Workshop. Those that selected the patriotic option made the photo holder and a wall hanging similar to those in this picture.

Follow this link to learn how you can purchase this stamp set at a discounted price or free!

Last month I posted a tutorial on making the photo holders. Follow this link if you are interested.  Today, I'd like to show you a technique I used on the top wall hanging. In the close up below, take a look at the red strip of paper in the background. What to learn how to make the distressed white stripes? Then read on!


I started with a piece of red cardstock. To make the stripes, I first scored it every quarter inch using my new Martha Stewart scoring board. (I love this tool!) Then I simply turned the paper over and lightly sanded it to expose the white core on the raised score lines.  

This technique can be adapted in many ways. You can make your scoring lines in a pattern to represent wooden bead board or turn your paper 90 degrees to create hash marks. In fact, you can use sandpaper to bring out any design that you dry emboss with a stylus. Remember this only works with cardstock that has a white core.

Have fun creating and have a wonderful July 4th!

God Bless America,
Rebecca